Image Map

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Carrot Cake


I welcomed fall with a frosted
cupcake on a maple leaf.
 After four weeks of no sugar and low carb eating, I fantasied about my birthday cake. No store-bought cake for me. It had to be homemade, and one my grandchildren would help me eat. Leftovers go in the trash.What would it be: German Chocolate; Carrot; Italian Cream; Devil's Food w/Fudge Icing?The first three cakes have two things in common--coconut and pecans! Only one sounds like a healthy choice, so Carrot Cake won!
I cut some of the calories by substituting half the oil with applesauce, and half the sugar with Splenda. It turned out a little dry, so I doubled the icing recipe. You know, kinda like having a diet Coke with your candy bar!A little ice cream always helps too! I chose Blue Bell's Blackberry Cobbler so I could say I had veggies and fruit for my birthday!
My ingredients - notice I use pre-shredded carrots
Preheat oven to 350 and prepare pans.

Grease & flour baking pans. I used two round cake pans
for a birthday cake. I usually use a 9x13 pan.
 Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In separate bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla.
Stir in flour mixture; mix well.
 Stir in carrots, pineapple, raisins, and 1/2 cup nuts.

Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake round pans & cupcakes for 25-30 minutes
Bake 9x13 pan for 50-60 minutes

Cool completely
While cake is cooling, prepare your icing:
Beat together, softened cream cheese and butter

Beat in powdered sugar, and 2 tsp. vanilla.
Add coconut and pecans.

Place a dollop of icing in the middle of
your plate to hold cake in place

Turn cake upside down, so flat portion is on top.
Frost w/approx. 1 cup of frosting

Place second layer on top.
Frost with remaining icing.
Refrigerate until time to serve.
This cake tastes better the next day.

Here's the recipe:

Carrot Cake:

2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, well drained
½ c. raisins (my family likes Craisins better)
2 cups shredded carrots
½ cup chopped nuts
     Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 13x9 pan. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In large bowl, combine sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs; beat well. Stir in flour mixture; mix well. Stir in carrots, pineapple, raisins and nuts. Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
     Bake 50-60 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool completely.
ICING:
1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
6 T. butter, softened
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. coconut
½ cup chopped nuts
     In large bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spread over cooled cake. Yield 12 servings.
     I doubled the recipe so I would have enough to make my birthday cake and cupcakes. My 3-year-old granddaughter is lactose intolerant so we left the cupcakes plain and celebrated her Half-Birthday.
     Hope you enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This