Image Map

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Celebration Squash Boats

Happy birthday to me! Yup, that cute little baby grew up to be this old lady!  I was born on a Sunday evening. Labor started in the early morning, but that didn't stop my hard-working mama from cooking breakfast, lunch, and a raisin cream pie. She also taught Sunday School, sat through the church service, and took care of my 18-month old sister until she had to go to the hospital. My mother is my hero!
This squash came from my parents' garden. At 80 and 81, Mom and Dad are still kickin' it! By the end of the summer, Dad says, "If we haven't given you some squash, it's because you saw us coming."


Mom & Dad lived in this travel trailer with no toilet or running water when I was born.
Today's post is going to be brief, because there's cake calling my name! I'll post my favorite carrot cake recipe next week. Today, I'm sharing one of my favorite side dishes for a celebration meal, Squash Boats!
YELLOW SQUASH BOATS

6 medium size yellow squash
2 chopped onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 (10 oz.) boxes of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup mayo
4 oz. cream cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp. nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Wash and dry squash. Split in half lengthwise. Using a tablespoon, scoop out all seeds. Leave a nice boat to fill with stuffing. Submerge in boiling water, until tender, but not mushy, about 7-10 minutes. Drain and move to bowl of ice water to stopping the cooking process. Drain and dry off any residual water by patting with paper towels.

Place olive oil in 10” skillet. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add remaining ingredients and stir until fully combined. (Add a tablespoon of milk if mixture is too thick). Fill squash boats with spinach stuffing. Place on foil-lined 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes.
Wash and remove seeds, leaving channel for stuffing



Parboil 7 to 10 minutes


Drain and cover w/ice to stop cooking process
  
Saute onion in olive oil


Thaw and squeeze out all liquid from spinach

Combine with onions

Mix in remaining ingredients.

Fill squash boats.
Place on foil-lined pan
Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes
This side dish is so rich, I serve it with grilled salmon and a plain baked potato. If you have leftover filling, it is delicious in your baked potato.
That's one of my favorite meals. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This