Image Map

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

When Things Go Bad

Oh, the strawberries, blueberries and blackberries look so tempting. I load up my grocery cart. I plan to eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. By the end of the week I'm haunted by the sight of moldy berries and brown bananas sitting on my counter.  Then I hear mother's voice ciding me for wasting food and pleading on behalf of the starving children in China.
 I sleep easier now that I found this simple yummy recipe. You can substitute any berry you can salvage.
Strawberry-Banana Bread
1/2 c. shortening (part butter)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1½ tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 c. fresh strawberries, diced
2 ripe bananas, mashed
½ c. chopped pecans
Cream shortening, butter, and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time beating until fluffy. Add vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and slowly add to creamed mixture. Fold strawberries and bananas into batter and add nuts.
Pour into loaf pans that have been greased and floured. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (large loaf) or 30 minutes for 4 small loaves. A toothpick stuck in the middle should come out clean when they are done. Loaves should be nicely browned.

Dice salvaged strawberries and
break up pecans


Mash bananas


Cream shortening, butter and sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla
Sift together dry ingredients and slowly add to creamed mixture.
Fold in berries and bananas. Add nuts
 
Pour into greased and floured pans.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (4 small loaves)
or 1 hour (large loaf).
 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ph my! Yummy! Came home from Amarillo and out looks like the bananas are ready for some resurrection. Thanks for the tasty idea!

    ReplyDelete

Print This