Image Map

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Meal in a Basket

On Marilyn's first night home from the hospital, her husband gave her a granola bar for dinner. An intervention was staged on her behalf by the Bible Study Girls. I recruited my BFF to help me take two meals. BFF doesn't cook, but she's pretty handy with a credit card. She purchased a gift card to Marilyn's favorite restaurant. (One only needs so many casserole dishes in the fridge). 

The Tomato Basil Soup was already made, so my part was equally easy. I bought a loaf of French bread, bagged salad, light dressing, and fresh strawberries. To add color to the salad, I included fresh cucumber, yellow squash, and a tomato from another friend's garden. 
I could have stopped there, but having a sweet tooth myself, I decided to make this easy three ingredient Marshmallow Creme Dip. Combine a jar of marshmallow creme and 8 oz. whipped cream cheese. Beat until smooth. Add 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring. Serve with any kind of fruit or angel food cake or both! Yum!



When I take a meal to a friend, I don't want them to worry about returning dishes.  So, how should I package this meal? I had flowers from the grocery store, leftover paper shreds and a basket from Easter, a pint-size mason jar, and a roll of wired ribbon. I put a bow on the jar, plopped in the flowers, and tucked it in the corner of the basket. As a finishing touch I wrapped the basket handle with ribbon. It turned out like this,


Super easy. Marilyn can use the basket or pass it on.
If my husband saw this meal he would say, "Where's the meat?" BFF bought a roast chicken from the grocery store for the granola-feeding husband. A funny get-well card and a short visit completed our gift.
Proverbs 17:22 says, "A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones." AMP. Go forth and cheer!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That fruit dip is still our favorite, hands down! Your basket is so pretty, and practical. :)

    ReplyDelete

Print This