Image Map

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

BEWARE OF SNAKES!

“Lace, would you be able to keep Max and Maya for a couple of hours so I can get a pedicure?”
“You bet. Drop them off and I’ll make sure they are alive when you get back,” I laughed.
Caring for a five-year-old girl is easy! I have three granddaughter. I know what to do with girls. Elaborate tea parties, fashion shows, dress-up, crafts and cooking. These are endeavors at which I excel. My only grandson is one and lives in Budapest. I’m clueless when it comes to boys. I grabbed the phone and began calling mothers of boys for recommendations on activities for a seven-year-old boy.I got the same advice from everyone—Legos, cars, or put him outside and give him something that makes noise or a mess.
I don’t have cars or Legos, but I remembered a lovely park with a sand box, two sets of swings, two slides, and a huge pirate ship with a rock wall! Ahhh, that’s the ticket! I’ll take them before it gets too hot. They can get messy and make all the noise they want. Off we went!
The kids were wowed at the sight of the pirate ship. 

A small creek with a six to eight foot embankment ran behind the park. I noticed a sign in front of the creek which read, “Beware of Snakes.”
Hummm….how brave do I feel? Should I resort to Plan B? I didn’t have a Plan B. After a thorough inspection for sticks that wiggle and hiss, I gave the children a very stern warning to stay in the play area and not venture toward the creek. I showed them all the wonders of the park and told them to play anywhere they wanted, except the creek.


For half an hour they played on the swings, climbed the rock wall, and commandeered the pirate ship. I enjoyed watching their delight in creating maritime adventures and battling with imaginary swords. Arrrgh, a pirates’ life for me!


And then what do you think they did? Yup, they headed toward the creek. From several yards away they gently pitched a few rocks into the creek hoping to scare up a snake. Failing that, they crept closer to the creek throwing rocks harder in an attempt to hit the opposite creek bank. After each attempt I cautioned them to be careful. I told them I didn’t want to spoil their fun, but I was concerned for their safety. I went so far as to draw a line in the dirt they were not to cross. They didn’t. They moved to another portion of the creek edging closer to the embankment. They raised small tree branches overhead and heaved as hard as they could. The biggest splash won!
 Looking for snakes became a secondary issue. My main concern was what I would do if they fell in the creek? Even if I could jump down to them, I’d never be able to get them back up. In that event, do I call their mother or 911 first? Horrified I even had these thoughts, I told them to head to the car. Fun time ended!
Does this sound at all familiar to you? Maybe a little like Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden?
Genesis 2 and 3 described the creation of man and woman.  God planted a garden in Eden with all kinds of trees, “beautiful to look at and good to eat. The Tree-of-Life was in the middle of the garden, also the Tree-of-Knowledge–of-Good-and-Evil. God commanded Man to eat from any tree in the garden, except the Tree-of-Knowledge–of-Good-and-Evil. God warned Adam, "The moment you eat from that tree, you’re dead."
A cunning serpent convinced Eve that God commanded them not to eat of the Tree-of -Knowledge–of-Good-and–Evil because they would become just like God, knowing everything, ranging all the way from good to evil.”
 Genesis 3:When the Woman saw that the tree looked like good eating and realized what she would get out of it—she’d know everything!—she took and ate the fruit and then gave some to her husband, and he ate.
Immediately the two of them did “see what’s really going on”—saw themselves naked! They sewed fig leaves together as makeshift clothes for themselves. The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson
Long story short, God banished them from the Garden for their disobedience. They lost all the privileges of playing in the Garden. It had much more than a sand box, two sets of swings, two slides, and a huge pirate ship with a rock wall! It included room and board!
God gave us rules to protect us. When we break the laws, we have to suffer the consequences, i.e. don’t commit adultery you will get your heart broken. To enjoy an abundant life we must follow His laws. But in our shortsightedness we edge closer to the creek for the thrill of the splash.
I commit each day to dwell in the blessings He has provided for me and not go snake hunting.

PS. The children’s only punishment was leaving the park. We went to the house, played with the dogs, and watched a movie. I learned that boys like to do crafts and cook too. Especially if they get to make and eat a huge sugar cookie!


Yeah, they don't look to injured! The dogs were happy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This