Image Map

Monday, September 23, 2013

Dealing with Disappointment and Depression

His eyes look right into my soul.
Naylor Made Photography
I suffered a disappointment today. Not a big thing, just an unfulfilled expectation. No lives were permanently changed, I was just disappointed.
I know all the right phrases to say in these situations: "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose;" "His timing is perfect;" "Give thanks in all things;" I believe all those things are true. I strive to be obedient to the faith and knowledge that I have, but sometimes my heart hurts.
When diagnosing the cause of my heartache or depression, I ask myself three questions: Are you eating nutritiously; have you had enough rest; and, have you exercised? Why question my physical wellbeing when my emotions are out of balance? Because we live within natural laws of this world. My physical state impacts my spiritual and emotional state. If the answer to any of those questions is, "No," I do what I have to rectify the situation.
If the answer is, "Yes," I try to look outward instead of inward. I've indulged in more than a few pity parties. In fact I throw a good one, but I have never found self-absorption to be the solution. The answer for me is to do something for someone else. It doesn't have to be a big thing, just something. 
Tomorrow I will steam-clean my mother's carpets. I will visit my dad at the rehab center where he is recovering from hip replacement surgery. I will thank God all the way home for my working arms and legs. Then I'll probably pay someone to clean my carpets!
A dear friend shared this prayer with me. It is attributed to St. Francis of Assisi. I carry a copy in my purse. It seems to fit every occasion.
Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, the truth;
Where there is doubt, the faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This