Image Map

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt


I cut the Snickerdoodle
Blondies into the shape
of the Lone Star State
The United World Mission team in Hungary sets a wonderful example of how we are to care for each other. A team member delivered a delicious meal to us every day for ten days. Not only did each meal provide nourishment for our bodies, it also warmed our hearts with love. As a thank you for making my job so much easier, I decided to make Double Dark Chocolate Shortbread and Snickerdoodle Blondies to be placed in the returned containers. (In addition to he links above, these recipes are on my Pinterest board “Sweet Treats”.
First I had to conduct a scavenger's hunt for ingredients. I set off with my shopping list, a determined spirit, a credit card, two nylon shopping bags, and enough Hungarian vocabulary to say, “Good Day”, and “Thank You.” I wish I had read Megan’s blog post, Grocery Shopping 101.

I bundled up like an Eskimo for the four-block walk in freezing temperatures. The wind stung my face, but the rest of me remained toasty. The Hungarians are evidently cold-blood creatures because the buildings are kept at a temperature equivalent to Texas in August. I tried to get a shopping cart, but didn't know which denomination of coin to use, so I grabbed a hand-basket. With no buggy to throw my coat in, I tied my scarf around my purse, unzipped my coat, and shoved my gloves into my pocket.
I had been to the grocery store twice before, but this time I was looking for specific items. I confidently hit the produce section. Ben had instructed me, “If it’s in a bag, put it in your basket. If it isn’t, bag your produce, weigh it on the scale by selecting the corresponding code or picture, and place the printed tag on your bag.” I successfully bagged and tagged the pears, but could not find the code or picture for cauliflower. Unable to ask for help, it went back in the bin. My confidence wavered as my temperature rose.

I forged on to the baking aisle. Oh, wait, there is no baking aisle. With Ben’s instructions, I successfully found the flour and sugars. They do not have chocolate chips, but I found chocolate bars across the aisle from the wine. After studying the rows of chocolate, I bought four bars of premium dark chocolate. (When I got home I discovered I bought four bars of premium dark chocolate with raspberry bits. Oh, well, I used them anyway). I never found the powdered dark cocoa. My upper lip began to glisten.

Butter and goat cheese were my next challenge. I looked in the dairy case and found six different kinds of margarine, but no butter. Tentatively, I asked a stocking clerk for “butter or mantequilla.” (Spanish is of very little help in Hungary). She looked at me like I had something hanging out of my nose and shook her head. I looked hard at the existing product and still couldn’t find the butter. I called Ben. He confirmed I was looking in the right place. My arm pits moistened.

My confidence disappeared. I left the area to pick up some Serrano ham, and went back to the dairy case. Sweat pooled in the waistband of my jeans. I girded up my loins and asked a different clerk for “butter”. She pointed to what appeared to be an empty spot in the dairy case. There in the back of the case I found the elusive cube of goodness. The last container of goat cheese was in the same case. Mission accomplished!

With a sigh of relief, I unloaded my now heavy basket at the checkout stand. I stuck my hand in my coat pocket to retrieve my shopping bags. Only one bag appeared, not two. This problem I could solve by throwing a little money at it! I purchased a new shopping bag and wiped my forehead.
I began to relax as I quickly bagged my groceries. The checker ran the goat cheese over the scanner. She looked at me with distain, pointed out the lack of a bar code, and put it aside.  Tears threatened to appear as I made a futile attempt to apologize and explain that it was the only one in the case. She picked up the phone for what I imagined to be a price check and shared a look with the customer behind me. After several waiting minutes of waiting for a response, I offered my credit card with a trembling hand and said, “Never mind.” That she understood. I signed the slip and offered an apology to the woman behind me. She graciously said, “It’s no problem.”
I cooled off and composed myself on the walk home and remembered my daughter’s wise counsel to never buy more than you can comfortably carry.  On the first trip to the store I opted to walk up the six flights of stairs because I only had eggs and bread to carry. However, I learned an important lesson. If your bag inadvertently bangs the stairs once or twice you will have broken eggs and a bag to clean up before you put away the rest of the groceries. This time my arms were shaking from the weight of the bags, so I took the elevator.
Barely room for two and a stroller,
but we have squeezed in all three of us.
The elevator looks like it came straight from the Tower of Terror at Disney World. Every time I close the doors I expect to hear Rod Sterling’s voice and the Twilight Zone theme. I understand it has provided reliable service for the last 60 to 70 years.
My missing shopping bag greeted me in the front hall where I dropped it.
Please don’t misunderstand me, I don’t think the Hungarian clerks treated me any differently than an American clerk would treat an immigrant with no knowledge of the English language. I’ve just never been the one who was unable to communicate. I have a new perspective of how vulnerable and helpless you feel. I commit to take a course in Spanish when I get home. I will be more aware of times when I can assist some who feels as ignorant as I did.
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13: 34-35
Since my first trip to the store, I've gone back with Ben and asked a dozen questions. Today should be easier. Whatever happens, it's all worth it for this little guy.
My little guy now looks like this.  

1 comment:

  1. I love you! That's the sweetest story ever. It reminds me of the time I went to the bundespost in Germany. I had practiced my german for the purchase of stamps, but became so overwhelmed that I finally just slapped the postcards in front of the clerk and shrugged my shoulders. I know the disdainful look given to an alien incapable of communication for the simplest task. It's a lesson we all should learn.
    "Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, The alien or the poor. Let none of you plan evil in his heart Against his brother." Zechariah 7:10

    ReplyDelete

Print This