Image Map

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes with Toasted Pecan Syrup

My husband is not a fan of pumpkin, so I wait until I have a houseful of people who will share these Pumpkin Pancakes with me. The recipe came from Martha Hall of the Arcadian Inn in Edmond, Oklahoma. Ms. Martha served our pancakes with fresh fruit and crispy bacon. I've been a fan of this luscious treat since the first rich bite went into my mouth. It couldn't be any easier to make, unless you can get someone else to do it for you. 
NOTE: This time you are using PIE MIX, not
canned pumpkin

PUMPKIN PANCAKES:

1 can pumpkin pie mix
1 egg
3 cups pancake mix (Aunt Jemima)
1/2 cup oil
Combine all ingredients and add water to desired consistency.

TOASTED PECAN SYRUP

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/3 cup butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup pecans, toasted
In a 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, syrup, butter, egg, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil. Stir in pecans before serving. Store leftovers in refrigerator. 
Combine all pancake ingredients

Mix until smooth

Add water (I like to use Sprite to keep the pancakes fluffy) until you have the
 desired consistency. These pancakes are little thick, I added more water to the next batch.
You can add chopped pecans at this point, if you like.
Cook on low heat until bubbles begin to appear on top.

Flip and continue cooking on low heat until brown on both sides.
While the pancakes are cooking, make your syrup in a separate pan.
Gather your ingredients. 1/3 cup of butter is 5 1/3 tablespoons.

To avoid having strings of cooked egg white in your syrup, combine your
 beaten egg with the sugar before turning on the heat.

Add syrup and vanilla.

Add butter and cook over medium heat.

 Stir constantly until mixture comes to a full boil.
 Stir in pecans before serving.

or sprinkle on top of your pancakes before serving.
I keep leftovers in a container in the refrigerator
to use when the grandkids come. Just warm it up
in the microwave and serve over any pancake.
(I've been told it's pretty good on fingers too!)
Next week I'll give you the other component to my traditional holiday brunch, Make-Ahead Scrambled Egg Casserole. It keeps in a Crockpot for up to four hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This