Image Map

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

PUMPKIN CRUNCH


This is my favorite holiday pumpkin dish. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It has all the deliciousness of pumpkin pie without the soggy crust. I found this recipe in the most unlikely of places--Hawaii! During her sophomore year my youngest daughter won a baking contest at Hanalani High School in Mililani, Hawaii, with this recipe.  

PUMPKIN CRUNCH

1 can solid-pack pumpkin (29-oz)
1 can evaporated milk (13-oz)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 box yellow pudding cake mix
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 cup butter, melted


Filling:  Mix pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, cinnamon and eggs together.  Pour into 9 x 13 inch pan lined with waxed paper. 
Pour  box cake mix (dry) over pumpkin mixture and pat nuts on cake mix.  Spoon melted butter evenly over nuts.  Bake at 350˚for 50-60 minutes.
Invert onto tray and peel off waxed paper.  When slightly cooled, spread frosting over pumpkin.
Frosting:
1 (8 oz) pkg. softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
3/4 cup Cool Whip, thawed
Beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar.  Fold in Cool Whip.  Spread  over cake evenly.  Refrigerate.  Cut into squares.

So this is how you do it:
Assemble your ingredients.

Be sure you use the large can of pumpkin,
NOT pumpkin pie mix.
Line 9x13 pan with wax paper.
 I spray PAM on the bottom so the paper will stick.
Preheat oven to 350˚


Combine sugar, cinnamon, milk, and eggs to pumpkin.
(I like more spice so feel free to add a teaspoon cinnamon if you like)
Pour pumpkin mixture in lined pan.

Spread cake mix and pecans on top of pumpkin mixture.

Pour melted butter on top.

Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes.

Place serving tray on top and carefully turn over.


Gently remove wax paper,

Cool before frosting.

Combine softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
Gently fold in Cool Whip.

If you are going to serve immediately garnish with additional
chopped pecans. I needed to cover and refrigerate this one for a luncheon
tomorrow, but I will garnish with candied pecans before serving. 
This is a holiday treat, not something I eat every day, so I make it just like it is written. If you desire, you can reduce calories by using Egg Beaters to reduce fat. Next time I might try coconut oil instead of butter to make a healthier choice. Why don't you give it a try and let me know how it works out! I'm going to have a piece of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This