Image Map

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

COMFORTING COTTAGE PIE


My daughter Lauren asked me for my recipe for Cottage Pie. I've only made it once or twice. You may think of this meat dish as Shepherd's Pie. I went to an incontrovertible authority :) Wikipedia for a definition:
Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato
The recipe can vary widely. The defining ingredients are minced meat (commonly beef when named cottage pie or lamb when named shepherd's pie), typically cooked in a gravy with onions and sometimes other vegetables, such as peas, celery or carrots. The filling is topped with mashed potato. The pie is sometimes also topped with grated cheese.
Whichever pie you make you are following a tradition from the 18th Century where the poorer people, who lived in cottages, would make the pies from leftovers.
I do not care for lamb so I have never made Shepherd's Pie. I have used ground beef and chicken making my meat pie a Cottage Pie. I don't always want to take time to make gravy or peel potatoes so I plan this dish after a Sunday dinner of Pot Roast and Mashed Potatoes--a Planover! Midweek is the perfect time to serve the easiest Cottage Pie EVER!
WEDNESDAY COTTAGE PIE
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
Ingredients:
1 lb chopped leftover roast beef (or your choice of ground beef, turkey or chicken)
1 cup chopped onion (I use frozen)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme (or your favorite seasonings)
12 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas and corn are traditional, but use whatever you like)
12 oz jar beef gravy (or use your leftover gravy from Sunday Roast)
2 cups mashed potatoes (enough to cover the meat mixture)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
Sauté chopped roast beef, onion and garlic until onions are translucent and beef is hot.
Stir in thyme and gravy
Add thawed (I nuke them) mixed vegetables
Combine and pour into pie pan
Top with mashed potatoes and cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Need pictures? Here they are!
Combine beef and vegetables with gravy

Pour into pie plate
Top with Mashed Potatoes and Cheese
Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees!

Sooooo Yummy! Comforting and Easy!Freezes well too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This