Image Map

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

FIVE DAY CRUISE--ONE CHECKED BAG!

FIVE DAY CRUISE--ONE CHECKED BAG!!


The difficulty with packing for a five day cruise is the necessity to change clothes at least twice a day. This particular business trip requires a little more thought than simply throwing a couple of shorts and a  bathing suit into a bag.

I start with a chart and outline each day and time of individual activities. I pencil in potential outfits for each event. I review my color palette and narrow it down to one or two choices. Attached is a copy of the chart I use to organize my thoughts. 

DATE/ACTIVITY
DAYWEAR
EVENING WEAR
03/06/17-Monday
DL 1420 Depart 9:05
Arrive Ft. Lauderdale 10:55
Check-in at hospitality desk on Deck 6
Open from 1:00-4:30 pm

Welcome Reception
7:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Pyramid Lounge

Dinner 8:30
King Lear-Deck 5, Table 651
Blk/Gold Sweater
Black Jacket
Black Jeans
Blk Sketchers






Black. Jumpsuit
Gold Sweater
Gold Sandals


03/07/17- Tuesday

Cruising
Denim Capris
Navy tank
Blue floral kimono
Blue Sketchers
Black slacks
Royal Blue Cold-
Shoulder Sweater
Black sandals

03/08/17-Wednesday
Labadee, Haiti
Arrive 7:30 a.m.
Jet Ski's 9:45 a.m.
Depart 3:30 p.m.

Bathing Suit
Cover Up
Water Shoes

Black slacks
Turquoise Blouse
Black sandals
03/09/17-Thursday
Falmouth, Jamaica
Arrive 8:30 a.m.
Hike to Waterfalls and
Beach Picnic
Depart 4:30 p.m.

Bathing Suit
Cover Up
Water Shoes

Black slacks
Black/Silver Top
Black Sandals

03/10/17 -Friday
Cruising

6:00-10:00 pm Farewell Dinner
Giovanni's Table Restaurant
Denim Capris
Turquoise T-shirt
Blue Sketchers



Blue Tropical
Jumpsuit
Gold sandals
03/11/17 -Saturday
Ft. Lauderdale
Arrive 7:00 a.m.
Flight DL 2026, Depart 12:57 pm
Arrive Atlanta 2:53 pm

Black Jeans
Royal Blue Tank
Blk Floral Kimono
Black Sketchers



I place my chart in my carry on. It's an easy reference for events and times. You never want to be late or show up at the wrong venue on a business trip.

My evening attire is black with accessories in  bright colors. My daytime wear is denim with a variety of tops. 

If you're a person who hangs out by the pool, all you need are bathing suits and cover-ups for daytime. Sun damage and cellulite keep me in capris!

Shoes can really trip you up. I love them and I like different ones for each outfit but on a cruise the most important thing is comfort. The ships are large and you walk everywhere. I leave the high heels at home. You can pack a ton of flip-flops in very little space, i.e. the outside pockets of your suitcase. Having had many and varied foot surgeries, I enjoy my Sketchers GOGA Plus. They are cushioned with arch support.  I wear the navy with denim and the black with casual slacks. One pair of black flip-flops serve as my casual bed slippers. Dressy black sandals go with evening wear. That's only four pairs of shoes plus my water shoes which I pack in a plastic bag in case they are wet on the return trip. The shoes that can't go in the outside pocket of your suitcase should be placed at the bottom of your suitcase (toward the wheels). Heavy items at the bottom keeps a top heavy suitcase from falling over.

On this trip I took one pair of denim capris and one pair of black pants. I wore the capris during the daytime with various tops. The black slacks paired with dressy tops and sandals for the evening. I packed yoga leggings and tops to double as workout and comfort wear. I like to change pajamas every couple of nights so I packed two sets. For a five day trip I pack 10 pairs of underwear. I roll everything and place it in packing cubes.
I used four cubes. Two small ones for underwear and bras,
bathsuits, cover-ups and yoga wear in the largest one, medium for
socks, evening shape-wear and miscellaneous items which might get lost.
These lay flat in the suitcase and transfer nicely into drawers in the cabin
without unpacking. Packing up again is equally easy
A five day cruise has one formal night. A seven to ten day cruise has two formal nights. If you want to avoid packing formal wear all together plan to eat at the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants in the evening. There's always room service. You cannot get into the main dining room at night in shorts, so plan on khakis and a collared shirt or top. Hanging clothes and formal wear fold on top of the packing cubes.

For short plane trips like this one I carry my Genius Pack Flight Bag, no purse or carry on. I bought mine at Sam Moon in Dallas, but I've given you a link to order one. I found it on Amazon too, but nothing beats Sam Moon's $40 price tag. 

While on the ship you don't need a purse, just a lanyard to keep your Seapass Card handy. It serves as your room key and credit card. The only cash you need is for tips. I stick lip gloss and my phone in my pocket.

A small backpack is nice for shore excursions. We use it to carry towels, bathing suits and a water bottle for a trip to the beach. I the same bag for shopping expeditions.

If I'm flying internationally I always pack a small carry-on with what I consider to be essentials: medicine, jewelry, cosmetics, toothbrush and toothpaste, and a change of clothes, especially underwear. You never know when your luggage will take a side trip.

When visiting my daughter in Budapest I usually have a 10 hour flight with a 12 hour layover in London. It's nice to be able to wash up, brush your teeth and change your undies.

Here is a sample of a chart I sent my granddaughters to follow when we took them to Washington, DC. They were 8 and 10 years old at the time. I didn't get specific about their clothing choices. I gave them guidelines and room to fill in the blanks. One used it. The other didn't. It's all about what works for you. 

WASHINGTON D.C. TRIP
DAYTIME APPAREL
NIGHTTIME APPAREL
Thursday, August 28, 2014AA Flight Depart 7:40 a.m.
Arrive Washington D. C. 11:30 a.m.
Check-in JR Marriott
Washington & Lincoln Memorials
Jeans  or Shorts
Comfortable Walking Shoes
Bathing suit and cover-up
Flip-flops
Nightgown
Friday, August 29, 2014
American History Museum
T-shirt
Jeans  or Shorts
Comfortable Walking Shoes



Saturday, August 30, 2014
Washington Zoo
Air and Space Museum
Jeans  or Shorts
Comfortable Walking Shoes
Dinner in Alexandria
Casual dress or pants


Sunday, August 31, 2014

Ford Theater
Spy Museum

Jeans  or Shorts
Comfortable Walking Shoes

Home to GiGi’s



Toothbrush/toothpaste                                      Blister bandaids
Hair Brush/rubber bands and clips                  Sunscreen/sunglasses/hat
5 pairs underwear                                             5 pairs of socks
2 sets of night clothes                                       Light jacket or sweater
Books/games/snacks                                       
Water bottle (must be empty at the airport)

The temperature will be in the 80’s in the daytime. In the 60’s at night. Currently an 80% chance of rain onSaturday. You may wear anything appropriate for school--dress, jeans or shorts. We will be walking everywhere. Make sure your shoes are comfortable. Flip flops for the hotel so your feet and shoes can air out a little.
I don’t know that we’ll have time to swim, but pack your swimsuit anyway.
We might eat on the wharf in Alexandria on Saturday night. We will be taking the metro and walking to our destination, so don’t get prissy. I’ll try not to.
I’ll bring a small backpack for first aid kit, snacks and umbrella. Don’t pack more than you can carry.

Holler at me if you have any questions. Safe travels, my friend!




3 comments:

  1. Why would you need workout clothes on a cruise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elastic waistband for the buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Print This