Image Map

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Season with Salt!


I love to entertain and like to think of myself as gracious and pleasant. I love salt!  So this verse impacted me with its wording.
  • Conduct yourself with wisdom in your interactions with outsiders (non-believers), make the most of each opportunity [treating it as something precious]. Let your speech at all times be gracious and pleasant, seasoned with salt, so that you will know how to answer each one [who questions you]. Colossians 4:5-6 AMP. (emphasis added)

I confess my speech is sometimes seasoned with more than salt. I might even use spicy Cajun seasoning with a side of chili peppers.

 For instance, when I came out of Tuesday Morning to find the Fed-Ex  truck parked behind my car, two other cars, and an empty space, my eyebrows rose. I calmly looked around for the driver. No one in sight. I got in my car, cranked up the air and ate a protein bar. Being hangry doesn't help the situation.

Time passed. Still no driver. The driver hadn't returned to take in another load of product, so I assume there was some flirting going on with a cute store clerk. I have no idea what really delayed him, but once upon a long, long time ago I was a cute receptionist who flirted with the Fed Ex guy and kept him from his rounds.

My blood pressure rose. Irritated I got out of the car and took pictures of the empty truck and it's tag number.
 

 I looked  in the windows of the shops lining the parking lot. The door of the Herb Shop opened and the Fed-Ex driver wheeled his dolly past me.
"Really?" I asked indignantly, motioning to the blocked cars. 
"I'm sorry. There were no empty spaces when I parked," he responded 
"What?" I said pointing to the empty space blocked in by his truck. 
"That wasn't there when I parked," he denied.
"Then how were they able to drive away? I asked barely able to contain the chili and spice rising up in my throat.
"Which car are you in?" he asked.
"The red Camry," I pointed.
"Well you get in your car and I'll be gone by the time you buckle your seatbelt," he said pushing past me.
I stood there stunned by his arrogance. Lying to my face! My head throbbed with anger. I wanted to deck him. What was that verse again?

Conduct yourself with wisdom in your interactions with outsiders (non-believers), make the most of each opportunity [treating it as something precious]. Let your speech at all times be gracious and pleasant, seasoned with salt, so that you will know how to answer each one [who questions you]. Colossians 4:5-6 AMP. (emphasis added)

I have no idea if he was a believer or not. It really doesn't matter,  What I wanted to do had nothing to do with wisdom. So I got in my car, called my husband and vented to him.

I'm pretty sure the driver did not find our  conversation  to be gracious and pleasant, but by walking away I didn't make it any worse. I don't think Jesus would have been glorified by my having a stroke in front of the Herb Store.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This