Image Map

Monday, February 1, 2016

WINTER ONEDERLAND!!!



WINTER ONEDERLAND!!!

To celebrate my granddaughter's first birthday in early January, my daughter gave me her ideas (via Pinterest) for a Winterland Onederland theme. All I need is a theme and my little brain is smokin'! I put on my shopping shoes and scoured after-Christmas sale bins to decorate on a budget. 
My niece Ashley made the beautiful banner. Find her on Facebook at Looks Like A Party. She is reasonably priced and does beautiful work. She took everything my daughter and I had accumulated and turned it into a spectacular display.The milk glasses dishes were gathered from various family members. The other grandmother made the smash cake for the birthday girl and cupcakes for her guests. So what I'm trying to say is that it was a team effort!

This beauty was marked waaay down to $9 because
a wood flower was missing. I slapped a bow on
it and called it good! 


The sleigh, also in the bargain bin, held pine cones and potpourri. I re-purposed it to hold plates. I found the tablecloth, runner, plates, and napkins 50% off in the wedding section of Hobby Lobby.


The glitter-coated pine cones from the sleigh, silver candles, and battery-operated tea lights turned a wooden box into a sparkly centerpiece.

Our Hot Chocolate Bar was big hit! The kids loved adding crushed peppermints, all sizes of marshmallows, and gobs of whipped cream to their to their cups. I saw more than one adult snag a handful of marshmallows just for the pure joy of eating them.


My proudest accomplishment was making the whipped cream can blend with the rest of the decor. We couldn't have a red and white can in the middle of our winter wonderland.  ;)

Can you believe I came across the snowflake-shaped white chocolate covered pretzels at Braums?!! We stopped to get the girls a cone and there were the pretzels at the check-out counter.


Penguin punch and thawed ice were available for those so inclined.

Chocolate chip cookies and  glazed spritz cookies accompanied hot chocolate cheesecake dip. Recipe below.  


The birthday girl and one of her older sisters, T-Bug, helped me make several batches of spritz cookies. We used the recipe on the back of the box. the cookies lacked sparkle. I made a little glaze to hold on edible glitter. A white Sixlet from the wedding department adorned the top. Now these cookies were worthy of the Winter Onederland theme. We kept the food simple and recruited plenty of help to make the day a huge success.

HOT CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE DIP
Ingredients

Baking & Spices
  • 4 oz Cool Whip
  • 2 tbsp Vanilla mini-mallow bits

Dairy

  • 1 (8 oz.) package Cream cheese

Desserts

  • 4 (.73 oz) envelopes Cocoa mix without marshmallows.

The perfect dip for your cookies! It's filled with tiny marshmallows and hot cocoa flavor. Next time I would add more Cool Whip and mini marshmallows.

Hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This