Image Map

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Chicken Salad

I love chicken salad and serve it often. I rarely make it the same way twice. My favorite way is to add chopped dried apricots, curry powder and toasted almond slivers to the mayo mixture. So yummy!
For the bridal shower I gave last weekend, I kept it simple with this basic recipe.
Make it at least a day before serving to give the flavors time to blend. For that reason I don't put onions or eggs in my salad. It just doesn't smell right to me. If you like it, go for it! That's also the reason I don't add the grapes until time to serve. I like them crisp, not mushy.
My son-in-law, Ben, gave me a genius tip--put the cooked chicken breast in your Kitchenaid Mixer with the regular paddle. In 30 seconds you will have perfectly shredded chicken. Add the remaining ingredients, mix for another thirty seconds, and you are done! For the bridal shower I shredded about five pounds of chicken breasts. Using the mixer saved me so much time!
Place cooked chicken breast in mixing bowl.

Mix on low for thirty seconds.

Perfectly shredded chicken!

Chicken Salad
2 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
1 cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped toasted pecans
2 T. chopped fresh dill
½ tsp. Mrs Dash
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
½ cup Greek yogurt (I like 0% fat Fage)
1 cup sliced, seedless grapes

Placed cooked chicken breast in bowl of Kitchenaid mixer. Using regular paddle turn on mixer for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients. Beat until mixture is thoroughly combined. Add chopped grapes or serve grapes on the side. Use for sandwiches or scoop into lettuce cups. Serves 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This