Image Map

Monday, July 1, 2013

The Music Saved Her Life

Human Nature
Las Vegas is not my favorite place, but free time with my sweetheart is rare, so when he asked me to accompany him on a business trip, I agreed. My only stipulation was that we see some shows. We picked two, a Motown show and Penn & Teller.
I love Motown music. I love to sing it. I love to dance to it. Sweetheart loves it just as much as I do. We were thrilled to discover our online tickets put us in the front row.
I settled into my seat and began to read about four skinny white boys from Australia named “HumanNature” who sing Motown. Seriously? And Smokey Robinson endorses them? This I’d have to see to believe.
A lovely lady sat in the seat beside me. Her face was radiant with excitement. We exchanged smiles and she asked,
“Hi, I’m Alicia. Have you ever seen this show?”
“I’m, Lace. No, I haven’t, but I love Motown. Have you seen it before?”
“This is my 61st show,” she beamed. “You are going to love this. It is the best show.”
Alicia

“Really? Sixty-one? As in six one?” I closed my mouth. “Do you live close by?"
“No, I live in Maryland and work in Washington, D.C.,” Her smile broadened as my mouth dropped open again. “I came in early to surprise Andrew. It’s his birthday.”
“Well, did you surprise him?”
“Yes, I did. We had so much fun. I know all the boys and their families. I know all the band members too.”
I couldn’t comprehend anyone being that big a fan so I asked, “What makes you come so often?”
“Oh, it’s a long story,” she shrugged.
“Well, I’ve got time.”
“I spent six weeks in the hospital before I finally got a diagnosis. It was cancer.
When I got home from the hospital I found my husband of seventeen years had packed up and moved out. To this day I have not heard from him.
I have six siblings who are Jehovah’s Witnesses. I stopped going to their meetings. Even when I was in the hospital needing information from them, they would not return my calls.
I went through chemotherapy. I took the medication and made the appearance of trying to get well, but entered into a dark depression that you cannot even imagine.
My children were afraid for me. They said, ‘Mama, get up and go somewhere, anywhere, just do something.’ So I came to Las Vegas. I intended to take a handful of pills and end my life.
I saw an ad for this Motown show. I wanted to hear the songs I grew up with one more time. Human Nature sang the songs just as I remembered them. The whole audience sang and danced. The words spoke to me. Then they pulled me on stage and sang, “My Girl” to me. They held my hands, looked into my eyes and told me I was beautiful.
 After the show I threw out the pills. The doctor took me off chemo and told me to go hear the music. I have been doing that for the last four years. Other than my children, Human Nature is my family.”
“I do understand depression.” I patted her hand. “I struggle with it myself. You gave your family a gift by not committing suicide. My sister took her own life eight years ago. I don’t think my parents will ever get over it, not to mention her children. It was the most horrible thing we have ever lived through.”
“I’m so sorry for your loss,” she said. “But you are right. They,” she nodded toward the stage, “are my angels.”
“Isn’t God good to use the most unexpected things to reach us? You came to say goodbye, but the music and lyrics spoke hope to your spirit.
I'm sorry, I know you didn’t come for a sermon. I don’t mean to preach.”
“No," she assured me. "It is the affirmation I get every time I come.”
The lights dimmed. “You are in for a treat,” she squeezed my hand, “It’s the best show you have ever seen.”
I watched from a different perspective. Not just to be entertained, but as if I were Alicia in the depths of depression at her very first show. 
The lyrics to “Reach Out I’ll Be There” and “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” encouraged and uplifted me. But when they sang Curtis Mayfield’s, “People Get Ready,” we went to church.
“People get ready, there’s a train a-comin’
You don’t need no baggage, you just get on board
All you need is faith to hear the diesels hummin’
Don’t need no ticket, you just thank the Lord.
People get ready, there’s a train to Jordan
Picking up passengers coast to coast
Faith is the key, open the doors and board them
There’s hope for all among those loved the most
There ain’t no room for the hopeless sinner whom would hurt all mankind
Just to save his own
Have pity on those whose chances grow thinner
For there is no hiding place against the kingdoms throne.”
My hands lifted and tears ran down my face. I thanked God for redemption and second chances.
When they sang “My Girl” to a woman from the audience, my Sweetheart sang it to me.
“I don’t need no money, fortune, or fame.
I’ve got all the riches baby one man can claim.
I guess you’d say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl
Talkin’ ‘bout my girl
I’ve got sunshine on a cloudy day
With my girl.
I’ve even got the month of May
With my girl.”
Lace and Human Nature

Alicia was right. It was the best show I’ve ever seen. Human Nature exhibited tight harmonies, crisp dance moves, and a warm, generous spirit to the audience. Most importantly, God used them to reach out and touch a despondent woman through Motown’s music.

Motown music may not be your thing. I get it, but I pray the music you listen to speaks life into your spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This