Image Map

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ode' to A Cookie or First Quarter Update!


Milk and cookies! Not just for breakfast anymore!
The first quarter of 2013 is over so I thought it would be a good time to check the progress of my New Year’s Resolution—to control what goes in and what comes out of my mouth.

Mmmm, well, I weigh 2 pounds less than I did January 1st. So if my goal was to lose weight, I made some pitiful improvement. If it was to eat healthier, I’ve made some headway.

I love sugar and it loves me. (I know that because it has taken up residence in my thighs.) I love sugar combined in any way imaginable with eggs, fat and flour. 
Not to brag, but I’m a pretty dang good baker. Whether it’s bread, cakes, pies, or cookies, I don’t think I have ever had a flop, but my specialty is cookies. 

I can’t tell you what my favorite cookie is because I never met a homemade cookie I didn’t like. They are a practical food which needs no table, plate, fork or napkin. They can be eaten with one hand leaving the other hand free to hold a beverage, accomplish a task, or grab the next cookie. They can be eaten in the kitchen, in the bedroom, in the car, or if necessary, in the closet. (I no longer eat in the closet—that was my first marriage).  

They can be eaten any time of day or substituted for a meal. For breakfast I love a dense oatmeal cookie full of fruit and nuts. That’s healthy right…fruit, dairy and whole grain? Oh, and a big crunchy peanut butter cookie can be a source of protein for lunch. It’s also a decadent desert with Nutella spread between two cookies. A spicy cinnamon Snickerdoodle or Gingersnap is perfect with a cup of hot tea. I would be remiss if I left out the beloved chocolate chip cookie. Individually or baked in a pizza pan they can be the perfect combination of crunchy and chewy. I invented an oatmeal toffee cookie chockfull of coconut which my husband adores. (If you need a good cookie recipe, just leave me a message).

The only way for me to stay out of the cookies is not to have them in the house. I’m weak. I’ve tried baking and giving them away, but I still need to test at least one when it comes out of the oven. Not one from each batch of dough, one from each cookie sheet.The best way for me to avoid that particular temptation is not to bake. However, I love to bake and I love the adulation I get from others when I do.

I’ve volunteered to do the baking for a “desserts only” wedding reception. The first week of baking I went hog-wild eating all the cupcakes and cookies I wanted. Nothing else, just cupcakes and cookies. Four pounds attached themselves to my frame like lint on a sock. Easy to put on--hard to take off.

The alarms went off when I stepped on the scale. I stepped off resolved to fulfill my commitment to bake, but not to carry anything extra to the wedding except desserts. I slowed down long enough to read a book on the effects of sugar and high-glycemic foods on the metabolism. Armed with information and determination, I also asked for spiritual help to break my sugar addiction and drop a few pound. 

I found this very practical scripture:
Proverbs 27: 7 says, “When you’ve stuffed yourself, you refuse dessert; when you’re starved, you could eat a horse.” How true! I have little self-control when I’m hungry. Now I protect myself by eating a well-balanced meal before I start baking. I also drink plenty of water and chew a piece of gum.

Over the years I’ve also learned:
  • You don’t need will-power. You need DON’T- Power. Don’t buy it, don’t bake it, and don’t put it in your mouth. Walk away. Just say “No!”
  •  It doesn’t matter what you DON’T put in your mouth, only what you DO eat. I found myself eating my reward because I had been so disciplined during the day. Sabotage at its finest. Yeah, just a little crazy.
  • It’s not fair that my husband can consume almost twice as many calories as I can. He can sneeze and lose weight. No, it’s not fair, but my being angry does not change a thing. My body processes calories the same way whether I’m angry or not.
  • I have a slower metabolism than many people. I once went to a weight-loss doctor who measured my metabolism while I was lying in a little box. The nurse kept thumping the box because she thought it wasn’t working properly. Nope, it worked just fine. My metabolism was so low it didn’t register. So I will always have to watch my weight. Being angry doesn’t change that either.
  • I work out four to five times a week for an hour. I need to do more, but it isn’t worth it to me yet. Instead I try to incorporate more activity into my daily routine; parking at the back of the parking lot; using the stairs; walking the dog, etc.

Let me leave you with this comforting verse from 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; He’ll never let you be pushed past your limit; He’ll always be there to help you come through it.” 

Next week--how I'm doing on what comes out of my mouth. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Sister! You're singing my song, too. It doesn't help that we're creeping up to another age bracket--ugh! But the Lord is good! I can still get up in the mornings and place one foot in front of the other--I call that progress! Love your blog! Would love to sit down for a cuppa (something) and sample a bite size cookie of some sort just to have a chance to catch up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Print This