Image Map

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Date Nut Loaf


This is the only recipe I have which has been handed down for generations. My great-grandmother, Sarah Elizabeth Brannan, handed it down to her daughter, Ida Mae Keel, who gave it to my mother, Priscella Lee Thetford. Mom gave it to me as a young bride in 1977. I have been making it at Christmas ever since. I just make one batch and save it for friends and family who treasure its rich nuttiness. 
Candy is easy to make if you invest in a inexpensive candy thermometer. Once upon a time I made at least twenty baskets of goodies for my Sweetheart's co-workers every Christmas. I found candy so quick to make, package, and store, my baskets contained the standard fudge, but also peanut brittle, chocolate cherry fudge, white chocolate pretzels and this Date Loaf Candy.

DATE LOAF CANDY
2 cups sugar
2/3 cups sweet milk
1 Tablespoon butter
Cook together until mixture forms hard ball in cold water or (260° on candy thermometer)
Add two cups of chopped dates and beat until evenly distributed.
Add cup chopped pecans.
Use spatula to place hot mixture on waxed paper.
Roll into a loaf, being careful not to burn your hand.
Let stand until hard enough to slice.
Gather and measure your ingredients.
Sweet milk is listed to differentiate it from buttermilk.
I use evaporated milk for richness. Any milk will work

 Combine sugar, milk and butter together

Cook together until mixture reaches 260° on candy thermometer 

Add 2 cups of chopped dates, mix until blended.

Add 1 cup chopped pecans

Pour onto waxed paper and shape into loaf.
When cool enough to handle, slice into circles
 and serve, or package for gifts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This