Image Map

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

What is a King Ranch Casserole?

Our lovely community asked for volunteers to throw a Super Bowl Party for our first responders. Ralph and I signed up to bring an Appetizer and Main Dish to the police station. When the coordinator called to see what specific dish I was making I said, "King Ranch Casserole."
 "I don't know what that is," she responded.
"What?" I clutched my pearls. "You must be from the North.
"Yes, I'm from Chicago."
"I've only been through the airport although I hear it is an exciting city to visit," I said smoothly. "It is a layered chicken enchilada casserole familiar to all Texas households."
"That would be great. I think our officers would like that,"
Not a pretty picture, but the only one I got

I made a double recipe and a double recipe of Tamale Dip. It went over well and in response to the anxious requests for the recipes, here you go-- (It's also in my cookbook)


KING RANCH CASSEROLE
4-6 chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 10 3/4 oz cans cream of chicken soup
1 10 3/4 oz can mushroom soup
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chiles
1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
1 pkg. corn tortillas

In a soup pot, barely cover the chicken with water and bring to a boil. Add the garlic and bay leaves and decrease to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the broth. Allow the chicken to cool, then shred the meat into pieces, reserving the broth. NOTE: You can cheat on this part by using a rotisserie chicken and a can of chicken broth!

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and green pepper and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft. Add the soups, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup of the reserved broth. Add the shredded chicken to the soup mixture.

Preheat the oven to 375*. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.

Arrange the tortillas to cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour half the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle half the shredded cheese over the chicken mixture. Repeat the layers. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes. Allow to cool until set, about 20 minutes. Cut into squares like lasagna and serve warm.


Add the onion and green pepper and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft.
 Add the soups, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup of the reserved broth.
Add the shredded chicken to the soup mixture.

Ralph grated up 2 lbs of cheese for me.
 I used half  in the Tamale Dip


Arrange the tortillas to cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish.

 Pour half the chicken mixture over the tortillas. 
Cover with cheese
Repeat the layers. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes. Allow to cool until set, about 20 minutes. Cut into squares like lasagna and serve warm.

This is a standard in every Texas home! Serve with tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole and a salad, it's sure to satisfy! I served it to a troop of Ukrainian Ballet Dancers as a taste of Texan culture. They were very happy!


If you missed the Tamale Dip Recipe on my Lace of Grace Facebook page, here it is again. Go to my page and LIKE me!
From the Kitchen of Deborah Fortune, Attorney at Law, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who taught me how to enjoy the finer things in life after hours of tedious work.

TAMALE DIP

1- 16 oz. can of chili w/beans
1 can tamales
1 onion grated (I microwave it to soften so the flavors blend)
1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese

Mash tamales with 1/2 to 1 can of chili (to taste) Add cheese and onion; heat in small crock pot. Add Tabasco sauce and chili powder to taste.


I make at least 2 or 3 times this recipe and put it in a crock pot with a basket of corn or tortilla chips by the adult beverages. If you can't find your husband, look for him by the Tamale Dip!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This